Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sally Field

First the best line from a classic movie -- "Smokey and the Bandit" --

Burt Reynolds and Sally Field in a car chase (I know, which one?) are talking:

Sally: why do they call you the "Bandit"
Burt: that is my handle, don't you have one (something like that)
Sally: no, can I have one?
Burt: okay, I will call you "frog"
Sally: Frog? why frog?
Burt: Because I would like to jump you

Well Sally Fields got some prime time TV attention this week during the annual Emmy Awards when she made a political statement during her acceptance speech. Yea, I know, big surprise, a Hollywood actor/actress lecturing us. Ms. Fields made some comments about stopping wars concluding, "if mothers ran the world there would be no God damn wars...................."

Wow, either Ms. Fields lives in a cave or hasn't read any books in the last 10 to 15 years especially history books. The concept of "war" knows no gender. History is filled with examples of both men/women/fathers/mothers who had led nations and troops into war. So for Ms. Field's benefit and both of my readers ;-) here is a list of female warriors:

  • Margaret Thatcher -- former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (I am a fan) who led the UK to fight Argentina after their invasion of the Falkland Islands.
  • Catherine the Great -- while she was Empress/Czarina of the Russia she sent soldiers and sailors into numerous wars
  • Joan of Arc -- could there be a French warrior more famous than this woman?
  • Queen Boadicea -- Leader of her Iceni tribe once her husband died. Boadicea led her warriors into battle against the Romans in a bid to rid them of imperial rule. If there is anything as a "just war" this is a great example

So NO Ms. Field -- just because mothers are in power does not mean wars are avoided. Please pause a minute to consider the videotapes that I have seen on CNN and Fox News showing Palestinian mothers rejoicing and encouraging their sons to become suicide bombers to battle Israel.

I want to avoid wars myself which is why I support universal free trade because history has proven that "trading nations are not warring nations............."

So the next time you give an acceptance speech Ms. Field why don't you make a pitch for ending tariffs on goods and services?

Peace Through Trade,

Todd

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the real story here, though, the censorship that occurred? Sure we all know what was really said at this point but I am not sure that matters.

Holstein Girl

Jeff Deitering said...

I didn't witness any censorship because I changed channels when she departed from her thank you speech and went off on her tangent. I don't like that, I really, really don't like that.